Jamaica: in Training Blitz Majority of Jamaica's 250 Quarry Operators Engaged
In October and November 2016, the ACP-EU Development Minerals Programme held industry sensitization sessions with quarry operators across Jamaica with the aim to discuss quarry management and the provisions of the Jamaican Quarries Control Act. The sensitization session in Kingston on October 19 was held alongside a media event that gathered 61 participants. The keynote address at the event was made by Dr. Alwin Hales, Permanent Secretary Ministry of Transport and Mining, while other opening remarks were made by Mr. Achim Schaffert, Head of Operations, Delegation of the European Union to Jamaica, Belize, The Bahamas, Turks and Caicos Islands and Cayman Islands; Mr. Bruno Pouezat, United Nations Resident Coordinator/ UNDP Resident Representative, Jamaica and Mr. Clinton Thompson, Commissioner, Mines & Geology Division.
Lively discussions with the quarry operators and artisans present at the event (who also exhibited their products made from a wide array of Development Minerals), focused on the job creation and local economic development potential of Development Minerals in Jamaica.
- Small Businesses Giant Players in Pursuit of SDGs
- International Women’s Day 2017
- Infopoint 'Development Minerals' and the Role of the Private Sector
- Development Minerals Showcase
- Africa Sprints toward better Laws on Small-Scale Mining and Quarrying
- Zambia, Guinea & Cameroon: First Ever Census
- Jamaica: in Training Blitz Majority
- Cameroon: Blue-Print for Development Minerals
- Uganda: Media Orientation Helps to Shape Policy