14 – 15 April 2016
Jamaican National Consultation Workshop on Development Minerals
On the 14-15 of April 2016, the ACP-EU Development Minerals Programme held a National Consultation Workshop in Kingston Jamaica. Jamaica is one of the six focus countries of the programme and the purpose of the workshop was to discuss the state of the quarry and small-scale mining sectors in Jamaica, to consult on the activities that will be implemented as part of the programme and to begin to develop a roadmap and activity work plan.
The workshop was held in partnership with the Mines and Geology Division of Jamaica and brought together fifty-one participants drawn from Jamaica's public stakeholders such as regulatory agencies and local governments; private stakeholders such as small-scale mining enterprises, associations, and business development centres; and social stakeholders such as civil society organizations and community groups were in attendance.
The event was facilitated by Dr. Arthur Geddes and opening remarks were delivered by:
- Dr. Alwin Hales, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Transport and Mining
- Mr. Achim Schaffert, Head of Operations, Delegation of the European Union to Jamaica, Belize,
- The Bahamas, Turks and Caicos Islands and Cayman Islands
- Mr. Richard Kelly, Programme Specialist - Policy Advisory Services, UNDP Jamaica
- Dr. Daniel Franks, Chief Technical Advisor/Programme Manager, ACP-EU Development Minerals Programme
- Mr. Clinton Thompson, Commissioner of Mines